Friday 11 November 2016

Another excuse for accusations of racism

I recently read this article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2016/11/10/will-britain-ever-have-a-black-prime-minister-the-answer-starts/

The point to ponder in the title is: will Britain ever have a black Prime Minister?

I can see it coming: the results of a future general election where the party with a black leader comes in second, and suddenly everyone who didn't vote for that party is labelled a racist.

As the EU referendum showed me, a large number of people seem to think that votes are about one thing: our view of minorities. Voting "Leave" on the EU issue led to accusations of racism because of what it would mean for immigrants... despite there being many other reasons for people voting "Leave".

Due to the political correctness of the UK, it is only a matter of time before a black party leader rises up and, if that party doesn't win the election, accusations will fly again. The idea that people might vote because of what the party stands for, and the impact on the country, will become alien.

Equality will have been missed again... and hence the phrase 'positive discrimination' which makes minorities have a more than fair chance.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in equality. But I believe in the 'equal' part of it, not swinging in the opposite favour. I have no problem with foreigners. As long as they are able to do the job they are meant to be doing. Yet, in the past, I have felt bad for being annoyed with a foreigner who was not pulling his weight with a project we were working on together. Why did I feel bad? Because I felt I would be accused of being a racist when in actual fact I just wanted our project to be done effectively and I felt that not turning up to scheduled meetings was unacceptable. I would not have felt bad for being annoyed if the person was white British. Thank you, UK society, for your politically correct contribution to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment