Tuesday 14 February 2017

"Millennials" (or "Today's Culture")

Put your phone aside (better still, turn it off) and watch this video.


When I started university, I made a decision that I would never walk anywhere outside my own home wearing headphones. I was astonished at the number of people I knew - friends, even - who would pass me in the street and either just walk past me (possible with a slight smile and a little hand wave) or they would stop to say hello... but their "hello" was always delayed by a few seconds whilst they took out their own headphones and paused their music (or whatever they were listening to).

I felt awkward in those times. But I learned something. I learned something about how Western culture is shaping up to be. Being "connected" is really "disconnecting" from society.

Within three years of university, I had created a Facebook account... and deleted it too. I have never signed up to Twitter. I refuse to own a touchscreen phone or one with internet capability.

The result?

If people want to know me, they have to talk to me. They can't track my daily life on Facebook. They can't read a running commentary on Twitter. I am free from the need to take a photo of everything I do and send it to "friends". When I'm in meetings, I'm paying attention to the speaker. Although I do own a phone, I am not controlled by it: I will decide when to answer it, I will decide when to read the text messages that occasionally come though.

It means that I can talk to people. There have been many times when I have asked someone - a total stranger - for directions or for a bit of help. I know when I have a friend because they tell me about themselves: they don't just assume I read their latest status.
Plus, it means that checking emails can be quick!

I would say that my life is better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment