Thursday 15 June 2017

Targetting the innocent?

In a world gone digital, where traces can be put on keywords in any form of electronic communication, I was rather horrified to find the following in my 'spam' folder:


It's clever, isn't it? The "To Unsubscribe" statement makes it look as though I have already taken an interest and signed up to something. I wonder how far the "well, it was in my 'spam' folder, not my inbox" excuse - the truth - will get.

What is to happen with something like this?
Will I now be targetted by the police?
Will I be put on the 'possible terrorist' list?
Will they try to find some way of linking me with a radical group?
Will they say that my whole lifestyle is just an attempt to 'cover-up' my true nature?

Often, with spam emails, I copy and paste the text into Google to see what other people say about it (as those emails are usually sent to a group). But would that just raise more suspicion? It could be seen as me trying to 'look-up' how to get involved.

What if I report such an email?
Will that act in itself make me a suspect?
Would such an act be classed as an attempt to 'throw them off the scent' and work against me?

The truth can be twisted. Society has managed to eradicate trust. Vindictive people have the upper hand. Innocent until proven guilty is just a dream which idealists believe is reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment