Wednesday 9 August 2017

The "God made me this way" argument

I recently saw a picture of a man holding up a sign which read "God made me an atheist" and it got me thinking.

It's such a cop-out to say that God made us the way we are. Think of the repercussions. What does it mean we're saying?
God made me fat?
God made me to like chocolate?
God made me lazy?
God made me a procrastinator?
God made me to love money?
God made me to love shopping?
God made me to want an expensive car?
God made me to like large houses?
God made me to hate school?
God made me dumb by making me to not like studying?
God made me to hate Muslims?
God made me heterosexual?
God made me an adulterer?
God made me a mass murderer?
God made me a rapist?
God made me this way...

REALLY??

What it all ultimately boils down to is this: we don't want to take responsibility for our actions.

Most people would not allow the "God made me this way" excuse for rapists, murderers, hate-speakers and the like. The vast majority would not allow the excuse for fat, lazy or materialistic people.

But when it comes to sexuality, suddenly it's all about "finding ourselves"... because the current trend is for people's identity to be in their sexuality. Suddenly people like the "God made me this way" excuse, and it's almost taboo to speak against it.

The only way God can "make us" is holy. It's all about permission. God won't interfere with our lives unless we let Him. We have to ask Him, and we have to sacrifice our old way of life. Then we get a better way of life: better morals, better perspective and better purpose.

If we don't want God in our lives, then our influence is unhealthy: we allow ourselves to be influenced by satan. He gets permission to wreak havoc with our lives as soon as we don't want God in charge. As a result, we ultimately only see destruction: destruction of morals, destruction of purpose... and destruction of sexuality.

That's why we call murderous acts "evil". That's why we call rape "evil". "Evil" has come to be an extreme term, but all it describes is a lack of holiness.

It's not "just the way we are". God didn't make us a certain way. We let the evil one do that by not wanting God in our lives. We need to take back control and let God's holiness direct us.

Let's be decent human beings and take some responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment