Monday 5 August 2019

Duolingo is left-wing and authoritarian

The popular language-learning website, Duolingo, is great for learning languages.

I use it, and I think it's great. Well, I used to. Now it's just "average". Why?

Because they are submitting to the ridiculous gender ideology of the left... and preventing people from discussing it.

https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/12158176

Her wife???

Why does it have no comments? Because of the "locked" status (the padlock next to the number of comments).

Duolingo are forcing their users to have gender ideology normalised, and then preventing any discussion about it.

Duolingo has discussion so that people can understand why a particular sentence or phrase has a particular translation... furthering their language knowledge.

But when it comes to forcing their ideology on you... no, you can't discuss those sentences.

The very fact that they have to lock a discussion is alarming. Why do they even need those sentences? Just have something that everyone will be happy with.

If people are not happy with a man marrying a woman, then the future of the human race is in jeopardy! There is no controversy with men and women marrying each other. So why create it?

The negative score shows how unappreciated the sentence is. Surely that means it's time to take it off?


Note:
This comment gets a discussion... because it isn't promoting the new gender ideology.
But this comment doesn't get a discussion.
This comment says it all: one comment about how comments will be deleted... and then the discussion is locked.
Double standards?!?!

I guess "progressivism" isn't open for discussion.
Progressivism = Authoritarian ??


I had found this discussion which was still allowed. Thankfully, I saved the discussion because... you guessed it! The discussion is now locked, and the comments that were not deemed 'progressive' enough have been deleted.

Here is the discussion:


eighsse
Odd situation: I'm not complaining about any of these comments one way or the other. I don't really care about gay or not gay. But why were there already green upvote markers on all of the pro-gay-inclusivity comments and already red downvote markers on all of the anti-gay-inclusivity comments when I came here, as if I had voted on them before? I've had this app for a long time, but I sure don't remember doing that. ?


OldMansChild
I only see seven comments in total. You've got more there? Anyway I think duo often deliberately constructs some odd sentences to impress the learners, so there is no need to debate around them.


Thomasco3Plus
To be honest, this sentence is more about political agenda, and the German team shouldn't be inserting their own political views into language learning.


JWestDEPlus
It's not a political view. It's a statement about daily life. In the real world. But if you're so insistent on removing politics from Duolingo, then should they also remove "She is the Mayor?" in case that offends you too?


Junge645479
It's language learning. Are you advocating that because someone might disagree with homosexuality, one should not learn how to refer to it in that new language? On the contrary, wouldn't it equip the learner with the vocabulary necesarry to express their disagreement? I exist and I love my husband, you don't have to agree with it.



BenNew3
What if it was "she" instead of "he"? Doesn't that also come with an agenda (of reinforcing heteronormativity)?


BaggyT
Personally, I think it is all about the politics. Especially with what's going on in the US. The truth is, if Duolingo stuck with sentences that supported the status quo, no one would care (except the very extremist fringe... who likely aren't on Duolingo anyway) and the conversation would stick to discussing the language. But these sorts of sentences are a deliberate attempt to normalise 'progressive' lifestyles.
I have no issue with homosexual people because they are people. But I have my own views on the homosexual lifestyle choice and I don't see why that ideology should be forced on people who came here to learn a language.
It's not about "well, if they don't have 'his husband' then they shouldn't have 'his wife' either"... because it's not about constructing every possible sentence. It's about giving people the tools to understand and use the language. If a person understands how "his wife" and "her husband" work grammatically, then they should have the tools to satisfy whatever gender ideology they want.


Junge645479
I'm gay. I'm not just a theoretical topic of your discussion. This question is not being forced on me, it's acknowledging me. I live my entire life seeing others acknowledged without problem, but whenever I am, it's a problem to many people. Imagine what living like that might be like. Sorry that I might want something specifically useful for my everyday life reflected in the thousands of phrases I'm looking at.
Regardless, the point of showing this sentence is to show that there isn't a specific word for gay husband, or some special colloquialism if you want to express a same-gendered marriage. You can't know that before seeing what the sentence is as commonly used, because literal translations aren't always the way to go if you want to sound native. Languages are so full of special caveats that you need to be exposed to everything, or you're setting yourself back.
You seem like you're offended from the outset and are rationalizing, and trying to come up with justifications for your preformed opinion, and in the end it just points out your logical blind-spots.


BaggyT
So, when you sign up to things online, are you actively looking for those things to acknowledge your lifestyle?
For me, I signed up to Duolingo to learn a language, not to be subjected to an ideology.
And sure, this sort of language might be useful for some people, but does it really need to be pushed so early in the course? I'm only a short way in. I don't have much of an issue with alternative lifestyle being talked about later on as a step towards fluency, but at this stage, there's no need for it at all.
In the current age of the speedy growth of technology (and population), everyone is getting lost in the wave, businesses included. It's increasingly harder to stand out. Companies seem to be trying it by "going woke" because they think that being at the forefront of this new ideological push is the best thing for their business. There are many facets of my life that are rarely acknowledged by websites and businesses. I get over it.
I just want to be able to learn a language without the rest of the ideological trash. Duolingo said that that's what it was there for. It seems they are not.


Junge645479
No, I don't expect that when I sign up. Why would I? I'm sceptical of when companies try to appeal to me purely for their own gain. The first time I saw a gay Duolingo question (which was months after I first started, by the way, so it's not early for everyone) I showed it to my husband, whose reaction was, "geez, Duolingo going for the PC points." But the alternative is that companies try to pretend I don't exist. I'm fine with Sprite never trying to appeal to me, but Duolingo is a language learning app, and it's supposed to give me ways to communicate. I'm gay, and the ways I communicate involve referring to my life. You're upset that you're not gay but there's a gay question, are you equally upset that (I'm going to assume) you're not a business owner, but there are questions from the perspective of a business owner? As someone with a dog, it would be strange for me to say I have no need for questions about someone with a cat, because the point is not that it all relates to me or my values, but that it filters the entire world, and all it might contain, through a new language--because being able to label things and express the variety of the world is literally the entire point of a language. I find it cynical, also, that you frame this all as "trash ideology." That's a way you get to see it because everything is already geared to suit you and acknowledge you. My life is my life, and it always feels so strange to see myself being categorized just so people can either condemn me or use me for brownie points. In the end, despite whatever Duolingo's motivation is, your proferred alternative (as I see it) is that everyone pretends I don't exist, which to me seems just as ideological, and lacking in those human capacities that should rather be used as antidotes to cynical, dogmatic thought. When did Duolingo promise you it would never bring up that gay peple exist and use language, including German? You know, like I do? I don't recall, and if you don't like it, you're free to use another service. And just to pile on, I don't see how you can separate a gay person from their "lifestyle choice," so I don't know what it is you want if it's not the complete omission of gay people from all media. I also take issue with what I see the phrase "lifestyle choice" as commonly conveying, because it attempts to paint every gay person as a monolithic entity. I have very little in common with a lot of gay people. When some don't marry, nor even have relationships, when some are bankers, some are painters, some are extroverted, some are introverted, some don't like pride parades, tell me, what is the lifestyle? If your overall issue is just that it's a company referring to gay people, why is that worse than them referring to straight people? Can you give me a logical argument that doesn't stem from some kind of dogmatism, which, in a supposedly free society, should have no bearing on me (or on Duolingo) just because you really want it to?

And that's when Duolingo put their authoritarian foot down. As is almost always the case, it seems this person, with their alternative sexual lifestyle, has a chip on their shoulder.

It is unreasonable to demand that all people are supportive of all aspects of your life (especially decisions concerning sexuality), otherwise you'll play the 'victim' card. Sorry. The truth is that all people get an element of respect just for being people. Your actions determine whether you are a nice person or not.

Personally, I know homosexual people who are very nice and good friends. I also know heterosexual people who are devious, liars, and generally not nice people. Sexuality is not the determining factor in any case.

17 comments:

  1. Inclusivity is one thing. I have no problem with a VERY occasional acknowledgement of same-sex relationships. But it should be proportionate to their existence in the general population.

    Looking specifically at the Stories in the English-to-Spanish course, about half of the stories involving relationships is homosexuality as a "plot twist." They are clearly TARGETING heteronormativity (a prerequisite for the propagation of the species) in an attempt to normalize homosexuality.

    "Representation" is not in itself a bad goal. But true representation should reflect actual reality, which means that the stories involving relationships should probably show homosexuality about one case in ten.

    Imagine the uproar that the left would produce if half of the stories reflected a red-pill agenda. It would be pulled off of Google Play and the App Store overnight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Very good points.

      The first story I read, I thought, "ok whatever,maybe it's being used to help us identify masculine vs feminine." But many stories later, I've come across many more "lgbt" favored tales, approx half of them. Like you said, the proportion of lgbt tales to non lgbt, and how many exist in the world, is way off. We have to know it is being utilized more for desensitizing youth to the agenda, rather than just teaching masculine vs feminine. It's then trying to come off as modern, totally normal, and sympathetic to everyone who's gay or not sure yet if they're gay. I get it, we accept gay people as gay, love who you want, but we should also be allowed to not want to be a part of it, or think it's normal, when it's not. Whether it's fine for people to be gay or not, it's just not normal. Ethically it's acceptable, but morally, it's not, and most people today are more concerned with ethics than they are with morality. It also biologically, deviates from normal behavior in mammals.
      It doesn't matter if other animals show homosexual tendencies, which many people will argue, we aren't other animals. Most animals that have shown homosexual tendencies have been found with abnormal hormone levels and have been exposed to chemicals which are messing them up, chemicals that we introduced into their lives, such as frogs and pesticides. Just bcuz endocrine disrupting hormones are in practically everything we have today from foods, to shampoos, and papers, shouldnt give us an excuse to normalize homosexuality. And yet here we are, a language class among dozens of other outlets, pushing morally wrong and deviant behavior.
      And to speak out against it or choose not to participate in it, isn't an option.
      What's next?

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your reply!
      Given what you've written, you might also like this post:
      https://questioningthetrend.blogspot.com/2019/09/but-animals-do-it-too.html

      Delete
    3. @Unknown while I agree with the premise that this propaganda is wrong (you can read my other comment), your point of view is even worse. I'm a homosexual man and you should realize how ignorant you sound. So I am wrong morally to love, because your "moral" system doesn't allow that? Where does your moral system come from in the first place? There are much more homosexual people that you think, but many of them hide them behind straight relationships (making their spouse unhappy) because of the ignorants like yourself. Propaganda is too much, but saying that homosexuality is wrong is ridiculous. And I'm assuming you believe in God. The God who made me attracted to other men, just like straight women are attracted to men. Hypocrisy as well.

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    5. @Bub
      If you are referring to the Christian God, then your premise is entirely wrong.

      While the Bible clearly states that God made mankind "good" (essentially "perfect" in this context) in Genesis 1, by Genesis 3 we see that this "goodness" is tainted by satan. This "sin" affects every part of human life, which is why, when we get to Jeremiah 17:9, the prophet states "the heart is deceitful above all things".

      Even a surface-level reading of the Bible shows that without God, human nature is to sin, and the human heart desires sinful things. But with God, our hearts can be guided to true and pure things. In Psalm 37:4 we read "Take delight in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." This doesn't mean sinful desires, because the first part says "take delight in the Lord". Sinful desires are not the result of "taking delight in the Lord" but are rather the result of NOT taking delight in the Lord. Once we take delight in the Lord, our desires become more aligned with His, and then He has no problem giving us the desires of our heart because they are true and pure.

      So, no, God did not "make" anyone attracted to people of the same sex, otherwise He would be wrong to declare it immoral. Rather, satan causes such desires, but God's desire is for all people to turn back to Him and realise the true and wonderful life they can have in Him.
      Unfortunately, the vast majority of people don't want to give up their lifestyle for God.

      Delete
  2. You're not alone. I'm in search of an option to duolingo. It's sad to see something that was simply about learning a new language made into a tool to normalize homosexuality. I'm disgusted and outraged!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fag is a slur, don't use it if you're not LGBT+, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They lock the comments so people like you can't hate comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also they aren't creating controversey of a man and woman marrying each other! They are only being inclusive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's ironic to me that duolingo claims to be culturally sensitive as they have a world-wide subscription base. However, the LGBTQ platform is not accepted in probably the vast majority of countries. Even in developed countries, the topic is controversial enough. But could you imagine all the people in other societies coming across this stuff while they are only trying to learn another language? Also, the content in the stories section is very heavily tilted towards LGBTQ content. Whenever the subject of a story involves a couple or romantic interaction, the vast majority of them are same sex couples. Just go and count them. The numbers don't lie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For the example in the beginning of the article- This is something you would see in real life, you need to be able to understand it, especially in a language like German. With everything being so based on gender, it is important to be prepared for all situations. Also- people of the LBGTQ+ community have seen straight story after straight story their entire lives. You see a couple ones with homosexual representation and flip out? Grow up.
    They most likely locked the comments because of people leaving horrible things there. They are a private business, it is their forum. Think of it that they are a Christian baker, the comments are a gay couple wanting a wedding cake. Works both ways.

    You aren't being subjected to some horrible ideology. This is the real world! I, as a German, can tell you I've used this sentence! Oh the horror, people different than you exist. Why don't you get off of your high horse, I don't think you can complain about seeing a couple sentences and stories about gay people until your "lifestyle" becomes illegal in a couple dozen countries. We'll talk then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sexuality has nothing to do with learning a language.

      Delete
  8. It is also slang for a cigarette, a bundle of kindling wood, and for bassoon. Can I still use it then?

    ReplyDelete
  9. God forbid! Next thing you know they’ll have sentences about women working or even driving cars without their husband’s permission. They’ll push the agenda that minorities can wed each other or that white and black people can go to the same schools.

    You realize the only agenda being “pushed” here is common decency to fellow adult human beings. YOU’VE made this political when it’s just about a sentence. It doesn’t “push” or “normalize” anything to say “her wife” in a language exercise. It just pushes your buttons and exposes YOU as a human with limited empathy. You’re attacking a whole group of people because of a few words. Wow. And then you’re probably the SAME people who say “No one has any right to tell me how to live MY life.”

    ReplyDelete
  10. I Agree... Duolingo is banning our Right to ban the rights of others. and we have no choice but learn in an inclusive manner. Please Trump ... Save Us

    ReplyDelete