Monday 26 March 2018

The necessity of "meritocracy"

Social media seems plagued with this idea that a "meritocracy" is a bad thing. Meritocracy is where rewards are given for skills, abilities and talents. Essentially, it's about having criteria.

For example, should a person be allowed to teach biology if they know nothing about the subject and even failed it at high school? To most people, that would seem ridiculous. But, if you think that we shouldn't have a meritocracy, then that's essentially what you're saying.

But here's why society must be based on merits:

If I'm about to have open heart surgery, or brain surgery, or any other surgery.......
I absolutely want the best surgeon who knows his stuff, because I don't want to die!!

Is that plain enough?





Maybe some more examples:
  • Should we give people a driver's licence just because they are a minority group or because they've shown they can actually drive a car?
  • Do people working for NASA, sending people into space, really need those qualifications in astrophysics?
  • Should I allow just anybody to build my house or repair my car, or should I make sure I find someone who is trained in the trade?
Simply put, if you can find any situation where you would essentially 'discriminate' based on skill (or 'merit') - any situation at all - then you believe a meritocracy is a good thing.

And good on you for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment